|Home Page | History | Museums | Monuments | Shopping Malls | Culture and Life | Urban Centers | Religion | Education | Links|
Rahmi M Koç Museum
The Rahmi M Koç Museum is the first major museum in Turkey dedicated to the history of Transport, Industry and Communications. Housed in magnificent buildings - themselves prime examples of industrial archaeology - on the shore of the historic Golden Horn, the collection contains thousands of items from gramophone needles to full size ships and aircraft.
The location is unrivalled - romantic, historic, convenient to both the Old City and the new. And the appeal is universal: objects that affect our daily lives, created by talented engineers and craftsmen, encapsulating man's ingenuity and hard work yet at the same time exhibiting great beauty.
Kids love our Hands-On gallery. Where else can you climb all over a vintage car, sit in the cockpit of a real plane and try the controls, or try real-life scientific experiments? And if that is not enough, come at the weekend and join some of our special activities, or let our resident science teacher explain basic scientific principles using our many experimental models…
When visiting, don't forget to take a break at the Museum Tearoom, Museum Shop, Barbarossa Pub, or Halat Restaurant. Decorated in the style of the Museum, and showing many items from our collection, they are open during normal opening hours, plus Halat and Barbarossa are open 'till late every night except Monday. Suggestion: come late in the afternoon on a Saturday or Sunday, and then when the Museum closes at 7 o'clock, drop into Barbarossa Pub for a drink before dinner on the shores of the Golden Horn at Halat Restaurant… perfect!
The Rahmi M. Koç Museum is located in the anchor-casting workshop at the docks on the north side of Haliç (Golden Horn), an area that symbolized industrialization in the Ottoman Empire in the 19th century. It includes a new, largely underground, building as well as the historical 'foundry' (Lengerhane) on the southwest part of site. The two buildings are connected to each other by a glass-sided slope. The foundry is thought to be built on Byzantine foundations dating from the 12th century. There is documentary evidence that the building was used for casting anchors and their chains during the rule of Ahmet III (1703-1730) and restored during the reign of Selim III (1789-1807) and was then used by consecutive finance ministries of the Ottoman Empire and Turkish Republic until 1951. Then it was handed over to the State Monopoly & Tobacco Factory in Cibali and was used for the storage of alcohol. The roof sustained serious fire damage in 1984 and afterward the building was left in ruins. In 1991 the M.Rahmi Koç Foundation for Culture and Museums bought and restored it. The museum opened to public on December 13, 1994.
Most of the items exhibited are selected from Mr. Rahmi Koç's private collection. Other objects are either borrowed from, or donated by, various organizations and individuals. Original machines and their replicas, scientific and mechanical items make up the basis of the museum's exhibits. “2001 Art & Cultural Reward” went to Rahmi Koç Müzesi.
Motors and steam engines are displayed on the first floor while the scientific instruments and communication apparatuses are exhibited on the second floor. The entrance is reserved for the aircraft department, mint machinery for printing banknotes and coins, bicycles and motorcycles, the naval department and ship engines. In the open area, there is a coast guard lifeboat, a tram, a narrow gauge steam train, and a vertical steam boiler.
When you complete your visit don't forget to take a break at the Barbarossa Pub, Halat Restaurant or Café du Levant. Café du Levant serves the finest French cuisine in an authentically Parisian brasserie atmosphere. Halat Restaurant serves outstanding Mediterranean food, complemented by a wide choice of local and imported wines. Barbarossa is a re-created English Pub and furnished with authentic antiques from the personal collection of Mr. Rahmi Koç. They are closed on Mondays. It is the day the museum is also closed.